APQO Policies :: Plans and Programs
GUIDELINES FOR BIENNIAL CONFERENCES
- Core Council members shall bid for the Conference at least two and a - half (2 - ½) years before the target conference year. They shall send their bids to the APQO President (c.c. the APQO Secretariat), if possible, with an endorsement letter from their respective governments.
- These bids shall be discussed by the Core Council in a meeting where a decision shall be made by consensus among the members.
- Once a Host Organization (HO) has been identified, the APQO Vice President for Conferences provide representatives with a copy of these guidelines. The representatives of the HO may ask for clarification, and results of their discussion shall be documented and shared with the rest of the Core Council members.
- Conferences shall have three (3) days of plenary and technical sessions. There shall be at least one plenary session per day, either at the beginning or at the end of the day.
Conference fees shall be paid to the HO to cover expenses for the conference, inclusive of the Welcome Cocktails, except that:
- Core Council members shall not be charged Conference fees.
- Presenters who are APQO individual members shall be charged 30% of the Conference fee (with option of giving free registration to be decided by HO).
- All other paper presenters shall be charged 50% of the Conference fee (with option of free registration to be decided by HO).
- Non-presenters and all other conference attendees shall pay the full amount.
- Core council members shall campaign for attendance among the respective organizations they represent. As a general rule, each Core Council member shall aim to have at least two (2) presenters and 10 to 20 delegates.
- There shall be Welcome Cocktails on the eve of the conference. Participation will be open for all participants. The HO shall make the arrangements based on the registration and reservations.
- Plaques of appreciation shall be issued to the Keynote Speaker and the presenters. These shall bear the logos of APQO and the HO, together with the signatures of the Presidents of the two organizations.
- The backdrop for the stage shall also bear the logos of the APQO and HO.
Core Council members shall arrive on the day before the Conference to attend the APQO with the following objectives, among others:
- Confirm arrangements between APQO and HO on APQO - related activities. This depends on the plans of the APQO President.
- Elect incoming set of APQO officers.
- Plan APQO activities for the next two (2) years.
- Discuss the bids for the next two - (2) conferences.
- The Secretary General shall take care of preparing & distributing the agenda to Core Council members.
The HO shall be responsible for the preparatory activities of the conference and post - Conference tours and tutorials, if any. Specifically, it shall be the following:
11.1 Preparatory Phase
11.2. Call for Papers
- Select an appropriate theme for the Conference
- Select suitable date and venue
- Select categories for papers per stream
- Draft requirements to which presenters would confirm
Appoint committees to do the following:
- Design brochures for 1st and 2nd Call for Papers
- Publish articles in association newsletters or press releases in major newspapers and other promotional activities
- Invite Keynote speaker(s)
- Get industry sponsors for Plant visits, etc.
- Plan program and screening of abstracts
- Evaluate tours available for accompanying persons including cultural shows
- Plan giveaways, souvenir tokens, plaques
- Plan souvenir program
- Plan issue of proceedings/journal
- Package incentives for guests and presenters
- Gather information on hotels in the vicinity of the selected venue and range of costs of accommodation of first-class and premium hotels
- Choose an official airline to ferry participants to country of HO, an official travel agent with whom other agents will coordinate, in order to ensure participants of favorable discounts on both airline and hotel room rates
11.3. Other Pre - Conference Matters
- Issue the first call 18 months before target Conference date, and second call at 15 months before the same. President of HO shall attach a covering letter to invite more participation.
- To allow time for screening and classifying of papers, set deadline for abstracts to 13 months before target Conference date.
- Confirm acceptance of paper abstracts 9 months before, and specify format to be followed for a finished paper.
- Set deadline for finished papers 6 months before target date. Assign a Board of Editors to conduct review of accepted papers.
- Request presenters for a one - page curriculum vitae and a recent photograph (passport size) for the souvenir program.
11.4. Conference Proper
The HO shall
- Provide for the airfare and hotel accommodations of the APQO President and Secretary General
- Encourage early registration to help ease pressures on Conference preparations by providing "early bird discounts."
- Confirm participation of participants who remit payments and help them by checking whether promised discounts on airfares/hotel rooms are obtained…
- Include choice of vegetarian and diabetic diets in checklist for registration, and make necessary arrangements with banquet services of hotel.
- Prepare conference kits, exhibits, and choice of post conference Plant tours, if applicable.
- Coordinate with moderators and meet with them to assure smooth transitions during Conference.
- Conduct a dry - run to estimate time allowances for activities
11.5. OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Opening Ceremonies. These may be held either on eve of the Conference to precede the Welcome Cocktails or on the first morning of the Conference.
- Opening remarks is given by the President of the APPQO to signify opening of the Conference (5 - 10 min.).
- Welcome remarks is given by the President of the HO to acknowledge the presence of guests and presenters before introducing the Keynote Speaker. (10 - 15 min,).
- Keynote Speech shall last 25 to 30 min.
- Together, Presidents of APQO and HO shall award Plaque of Appreciation to Keynote Speaker.
- Plenary sessions shall have senior members of APQO as speakers, this shall last 25 - 30 min., followed by a 10 min. open forum.
- Technical sessions/Streams shall either have a common open forum or individual sessions, depending on the time available. Introductions of speakers shall be based on the submitted curriculum vitae. Each speaker shall be given 20 min. to speak and 10 min. for open forum, or if time is short, a common open forum shall be held for a group of speakers, and this would last for about 15 to 20 min.
- Plaques bearing the official logos of APQO and the HO shall be awarded to all presenters. This may or may not be accompanied by souvenir tokens.
- TUTORIALS (If requested by HO members).
- PLANT TOURS OR CULTURAL TOURS for Accompanying Persons.